Thursday, October 22, 2009

Blood Type Question

Ok, put your thinking caps on back to good ole biology/genetic days. My blood type is A+ and Jason's blood type is O+. Ella's blood type is AB+. From everything I have found from the good ole Internet, this is impossible. To answer your 1st question, Ella is 100% without a doubt Jason's child! AB+ is one of the rarest blood types, so it raised my concerns. We asked for them to recheck her labs to see if this was just a clerical error. The lab said they wouldn't redo it and that blood types have recessive traits. I still see this as an impossibility. I guess Ella has defied all the "medical possibilities" so far, so why not another! Since Jason is O+, I said she could only receive blood from him just in case they did a clerical error.

On another note, we had another good day. Ella is definitely getting interested in eating. She is showing strong signs. Now, she just needs to eat more at each feeding. She also learned to cry. It is sweet music to our ears! (at least right now it is :)

4 comments:

  1. can they not just prick her (i know it hurts) and test it? I mean, you are paying for it. Just wondering out loud because I am ignorant when it comes to this type of medical stuff. I think if you really want another test you should demand it. You do have rights. I'm getting off my soapbox now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is really strange. I guess it does make sense that it could be recessive. Yay on the crying though!!! They do have sweet little cries when they are this little :) So grateful that she continues to improve! Awesome news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Amber....you do have rights!

    I am so happy that she's learned to cry...I have a feeling you'll love that noise forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Amber, I would keep insisting they retest her...

    I also asked Ronnie (biology/chemistry undergrad). He said IF you are 100% O+ and Jason is 100% A+ Ella should only have A or O blood type. In his opinion either you are correct and the hospital made an error, or maybe you and Jason have a different blood type than y ou thought.

    [or course like you said, she HAS defied many other medical possibilities...]

    ReplyDelete