Monday, October 26, 2009

Another Day

Ella has been eating so well the past few days. She has finished so many bottles lately that I can't remember how many. Her bottle feedings have increased to 4 feedings a day (basically every other feeding). She is up to 46cc. Her weight is 5lb 4oz. From what I've heard we will definitely do the shunt, it is just a matter of when. Her MRI and ultrasound results have been sent over to Children's and we are just waiting for Dr. Mapstone to look at them. Hopefully we'll know something by Wednesday or Thursday. I have had quite a few people reassure me lately about the shunt. My sister-in-law has a student in her class with one, and he is perfect. His only limitations are no contact sports. As most of you know, I'm a huge sports fan. But, this opens my eyes to many new opportunities. Maybe Ella will take after her Auntie Deana and love theater. Ella has really long fingers, so maybe she'll be an awesome musician. Maybe a cheerleader ??? We'll see.

Hopefully Ella will keep up her eating after her surgery. Then, maybe we'll be home within a few weeks. Her due date wasn't until November 21st, so my goal is for her to make it home by then. I can't believe she'll already by 4 weeks old on Friday. The time is going by fast, yet slow at the same time.

I had my 3 week checkup and got to talk to Dr. Hager a little more on what exactly happened. My placenta completely abrupted. It just happened! The only risk factor I had is being a red-head. I guess besides being know for having tempers, we bleed weird :) After talking to her, I realize more and more what a blessing Ella is. Dr. Hager did such an awesome job. She had an angel on her shoulder telling her to get my baby out when she did. I guess I had a blood clot half the size of my head. When she did the c-section, out came Ella, the blood clot and my placenta. My uterus was was black because it was so bruised. I am so thankful for my precious doctor! If any of you are looking for an OB/GYN, get her NOW! She is awesome!

Lots of Love to All!!!!
Traci

3 comments:

  1. Hi Traci,

    This is Luis' sister, Erika. We've met a long time ago.

    I hope it's ok that Cindy sent us your blog link. Cindy told us the story about sweet Ella and we've been really touched by it.

    I just want to let you know that there's no question that wonderful angels are protecting Ella and your beautiful family.

    Your attitude and strength is truly inspirational. It really has helped put many things in my life into perspective.

    We'll continue to pray for your family.

    Sending you wonderful wishes,

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Traci & Jason
    I'm Jean, Gordy's cousin. Gordy and I have just recently connected and now I am fortunate enough to be able to follow you and your journey as well.

    Since I heard about Ella, I've been praying for you all and sending positive energy your way. All of your children are beautiful, you are blessed.

    I'd also like to offer you some encouragement from our personal experiences. Our youngest daughter Lindsey, who is now 23 was born with many challenges, though different than Ella's. Like you, we had some wonderful medical caregivers that supported us during our journey. We know how frightening it is to have a sick baby and what it is like to wonder what long term effects she may have and the challenges the family may face. The love you have for her will be the foundation of her strength.

    Lindsey was born with a chromosomal anomaly, and has some mild cerebral palsy and some significant learning disabilities. Her motor skills are still very delayed and will always be so, but the great news is that she has defied everything that medical science had predicted for her. We always treated her as if nothing was different about her. She received all the love she needed, proper medical attention and educational supports. She graduated from high school and is now attending our community college and focusing on Early Childhood Education. She has had to work twice as hard to get half as far but she is wonderfully successful.

    It is important to remember that every child is unique and if presented with negative statistics don't anticipate Ella's outcome based on averages. If we had listened we would have never held Lindsey to the standards she was actually able to achieve. I know other families with the same outcome from their children. Ella has a bright, wonderful, fulfilling future ahead of her being the best she is able to be.

    The one thing I didn't do and wished I had, you are already doing, keeping a journal. There is so much that got lost because we were so caught up in life. I never even gave keeping a journal a thought.

    Wishing your entire family health and happiness and looking forward to reading more about Ella's progress and your family's journey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traci, "for such a time as this" you are handling all of this so wonderfully. God knew you would glorify Him through it and you are doing just that. Love ya,
    Daysha

    ReplyDelete